Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

More About Dining at Sapphire Laguna, CA



Their food is described as "Comfort food inspired by cuisines from around the world..." I didn't know what that meant BEFORE dining at sapphire but after having experienced it, I would say that is an accurate description. The menu was more expensive than what I am used to with most entrees in the $30 price range, but I felt it was more than appropriate for the caliber of food.

I had the Onion Dusted Lamb Sirloin with Bleu Cheese Gnocchi, Rapini, Tomato Basil-Olive Jus. This was the most delicious lamb I have ever had, I could never have imagined how olives could go with this dish but it was wonderful. Dad had Grilled Berkshire Pork Porterhouse with a Casserole of Black Eyed Peas and Cabbage, Apple Gravy. Debbie had Pan-Seared Beef Tenderloin & Lobster Ravioli with Creamed Spinach, Wild Mushroom Ragout, Chervil Butter. I had a taste of both the pork and the beef tenderloin... everything was excellent but I would have to say that the tenderloin was the most delicious and and taken in combination with the fantastic sides paired with it, I think it was the best dish on the table. (Ethan had Fried Chicken and shoestring Fries from the kids menu) The food was impeccable! It was food like the amazing imaginative things you see on a show like Iron Chef America with unusual combinations, uncommon ingredients, and artistic presentation. It was a unique and memorable experience. I wold love to go back and try the Chicken Pot Pie. The desserts and salads we saw at other tables looked fantastic so I'm hoping to get back sometime and try some of those.

Reservations are required, we had the extreme good fortune to get in on a cancellation. I think my first choice for seating would be on the inviting patio. The dinning room was very Laguna, eclectic with handcrafted blown glass lighting fixtures, elegant comfortable seating around large round tables and many interesting details to take in, one wall had a basket weave texture to it our table conjectured that perhaps the wood on that wall was salvaged from barrels or casks. The dinning room was noisy but in a bustling comfortable way, I did not feel at all anxious about having my 9-year old with us and there were many children present. This isn't one of those fancy restaurants where you have to talk in hushed voices and worry about using the correct fork. The menu is available online and does list prices so you can see what you are getting into.

Sapphire
200 South Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
Sapphire Laguna: 949-715-9888

0 comments:

Post a Comment