Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

24 Hour Omelet

This recipe has been in my family since sometime in the 1970's. The note on my recipe card says that I got the recipe from my Mom who got it from Orange First Assembly of God church cookbook, which credits the Missionette girls as having submitted this recipe. This is one of those great casseroles you assemble the night before & baken the morning of your event. For the ham sometimes I just get ham from the service deli so I don't have to buy one of those mini hams. I have them slice it very thick then I cut it into cubes at home.

24 Hour Omelet 

7 Slices of white bread crusts trimmed
Butter (to butter bread slices)
3/4 lb cheddar cheese, shreddd (this amount of cheese is excessive)
8 eggs
2 1/2 Cups milk
3/4 tsp dry mustard (don't skip this adds nice flavor to the eggs)
Salt & cayenne to taste (I never put the cayenne)
Cubed Ham

Butter bread on one side. Cut up bread slices to line the bottom of a 9x13" buttered dish. Place the bread slices in the bottom of the pan buttered side up.

IMG_1563.JPG
Beat or whisk the eggs on their own first, get them so they look smooth with no visible streamers of just the white this step will keep the egg mixture from separating overnight.  Add seasonings to egg mixture then while whisking, slowly pour in milk this also works to discourage seperation. Pour over bread, add a layer of cubed hame & top with shredded cheese.
IMG_1564.JPG
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
IMG_1565.JPG
Bake covered with foil at 325 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours, remove the foil cover for the final 10 minutes of baking.

Cut and serve.
Serves 6-8



0 comments:

Post a Comment