Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Something to read at the Beauty Salon

I have mentioned that before purchasing a book for my Kindle I can download and read a sample - usually the first chapter of the book. I have enjoyed this feature and enjoyed a few books I might not have thought to read otherwise...

Yesterday I needed to kill some time with a head full of foil at the salon... Every woman has experienced one of these price-of-beauty moments when she wants something to take her attention away from that crazy haired, Bride of the Tin Man reflection in the the glass...

So I pulled out my Kindle. Hmmm I think it is time to start on Francine Rivers' The Scarlet Thread... I have really been looking forward to reading this one! So I begin reading. Hmm a boy named Alex, that was the name of the girl's husband in that OTHER book I read years ago. Hmmm that girl's dad gave her a hard time about her boyfriend too. Gee I guess some of these novels can get pretty formulaic. Except.... the names of these children sound really familiar. read a little more this so much like that other book - but those people live in L.A. not a sleepy town up north... Lucky for me Sierra's husband decided to take the job in Los Angeles before the sample of the book runs out. Then I knew for SURE. I'm so glad I didn't buy the book because I had read it a few years ago and just didn't recognize the name (blush.) Feeling a little old, now. It did give my hair dresser and I a good chuckle and something to chat about while she washed and trimmed my hair.

So from now on, no matter how SURE I am that I want to read a book... I guess I had better download and read the sample before buying. I find I have a harder time remembering library books because there often is no cover artwork to jog my memory.

I really want to read another book by Francine Rivers since I liked the first and second books in The Mark of the Lion Series so well. I enjoyed reading A Voice in the Wind more than anything I have read in a long time. I have heard praise for Redeeming Love, but it is not yet available for Kindle so it will have to wait. I've almost settled on The Last Sin Eater.

I've just complete the juvenile fiction books The City of Ember and The People of Sparks both by Jeanne DuPrau. They were both fun and I'm now reading The City of Ember to Ethan. Even though he is an avid reader on his own, He still loves being read to. I like to watch his excitement as the story unfolds, and it gives us so much opportunity for discussion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment