Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

Jane Austen & Zombies - Wait for the Movie

One of the top sellers (#46) in The Kindle Store is
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolet Zombie Mayhem ! by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

This book came to my attention several months ago and since Pride and Prejudice was for many years my very favorite book in the world (I think it's Persuasion, now) I thought reading it might be very good fun.
Having learned my lesson (Something to read at the beauty salon) I downloaded the Kindle sample, although I was quite confident this is not a book I've read before. The first sentence in I was hooked. "Oh this is going to be fun!" I thought to myself. By the second page I was annoyed. It took until about page three until I could not bear to read another word. I immediately deleted the sample from my Kindle - it was that annoying!

Perhaps this book might be entertaining to fans of Jane Austen movies, or people who have read the real Pride and Prejudice only a time-or-two... but it was driving me up the wall. There were Jane Austen's very words (or very close) with only a word or two inserted here and there about zombies. It was annoying, the flow and the music were all messed up. I'd rather read the original. If they were going to tell the same story in different words I might have enjoyed it.... and perhaps it got better, but I couldn't torture myself any longer to find out.

Now there may be a place for this book in the world. I know a lot of people who LOVE Jane Austen (movies) but would never read one of her books & even some who have disdain for her books.... I will never comprehend this, but I am resigned to it. It takes all kinds to make the world go around & there are some books that I will never read no matter how well recommended so I have to shrug and accept it as another form of the same. I'm not a purist, I read all kinds of Jane Austen knock-offs and like them to varying degrees. Perhaps this book will introduce new people to the joys of Jane, but it wasn't for me.
None the less, I think the title and the fact that this book is published and being read by so many people (or at least purchased by a lot of people) to be hilarious. So here you are.... enjoy the laugh. Perhaps Joss Whedon will make a movie.

Have you read this book? Please weigh in, particularly if you liked it... I love discussion on Jane Austen topics.

2 comments:

Sheila Bennett said...

That just looks ... weird. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

And, I have to admit that I have never read a Jane Austen book. Maybe one should go on my 'to read' list.

April said...

It was the rediculousness of the combination made me laugh.

Seriously though, you gotta give Jane a try... but don't read Mansfield Park, (dare I admit) that's the only one I don't care for.

BTW ready the sample of Pillars of the Earth & have downloaded it to read on the flight, think I will really like it!

Post a Comment